Work and Passion?

Posted on | September 5, 2011 | 6 Comments

HSF and I have been talking a lot about work and passion. HSF is, what I think, one of a handful of people who actually has a passion for his work. He loves his work, never dreads going to the office, and is always excited about new projects, etc. they hand him.

HSF asked me the other day that if I had a passion for my job. That really made me think. Do I? Do I have a passion for being a paralegal? Yes, I like the law and yes, I like what I do most days, but am I passionate about it? Do I wake up with a smile on my face because I get to go into the office to look over a mortgage lease? The answer is no. No, I am not passionate about my job.

Let’s break the word “passion” down, because yes, you can like your job or even love your job, but there is a difference about being passionate about your job.

* Passion is not talent.
* Passion is not knowing a lot about a topic.
* Passion is not masterful performance of a task.
* Passion is not being hailed as an expert.
* Passion is not having a lot of experience doing something.
* Passion is not the skill you’ve gotten really good at in your current job.

Passion is about the enthusiasm you have for something. It’s the thing you get energized just thinking about. It’s the topic you never get tired of learning about. It’s what you never get tired of talking about. It’s where your creativity soars. It’s being in that zone where you forget time, space and even hunger because you are so engaged in what you are doing.

HSF has all the passion that I just described for his job and I am envious. To actually work in a field that you are passionate about is rare. Very rare.

What is my passion? Dance. Specifically, ballet. I danced in New York with a reputable company and was the happiest I have ever been when dancing. I danced on broken toes, I danced till bruises covered my body and my toe shoes were bloody and broken, just like me, at the end of the performance, but I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. It was my passion.

My Achilles snapped one day during rehearsal, and even with surgery and rehab, my dancing on pointe was never the same, and my dancing days, my passion, ended.

I would like to think that if I didn’t have that injury, that I would still be dancing somewhere. Maybe even have my own ballet academy where I could still work with my passion.

BUT, I also think that things do happen for a reason. If I didn’t snap my Achilles, I wouldn’t have left New York, I wouldn’t have met my ex-husband and had my two sons, I wouldn’t have met HSF and had my beautiful family.

My passion will always be dance, but I am happy with where I am.

What is your passion, dear readers?

Comments

6 Responses to “Work and Passion?”

1. Rachelle
    September 6th, 2011 @ 2:25 am

I have a passion for the area of law that my firm specializes in (elder).  I take great pride in helping the families we help through compassionate legal service.  I’ve worked in a lot of areas of law, from corporate litigation to criminal defense….but now I feel like I’m doing something I can be proud of.  I think that’s a great thing about the legal field, there is so much diversity.

And you’re right, everything does happen for a reason!  I’m very sorry to hear about your injury though.

September 6th, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Good for you! You are very lucky!

3. Aimtx
    September 6th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

I’m okay with not being passionate about my work.  I want to enjoy it and be challenged by it, but sometimes (usually, I think) it’s nice to be able to walk away from your work and let it go.

Interesting that you were a dancer.  Dancers are a very specific kind of person, I think.  I studied ballet, too, although not nearly as seriously as you, and I would love to have pursued it further.  If I had it to do over, I might do that.  I wound up a theater major and was passionate about that for a long time, although not any more.

Passions now?  Fashion.  Perfume.  I can talk about fashion & perfume until your head spins and you wanna smack me.  which for most folks is about 47 seconds.

September 6th, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

I agree. That is where I am right now.

September 6th, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Talk about making us think on this day after a holiday.

For me, passion is teaching and learning.  I love teaching my paralegal students.  I love teaching religion classes at my church.  I love teaching my son how to grow and be.  At the same time, I love to learn.  Every day in my job I learn something new. Sometimes it is as mundane as the a procedure but sometimes it is as exciting as a major corporate issue of law.  I think this is what helps me come to work every day and get up every morning.

Have you ever thought about teaching ballet to little children?  They are surprisingly not as bratty as you may think.  I teach religion to second/third graders and they are wonderful. In fact, there are days I prefer them to my paralegal students. Someone once told me that, for the most part, little kids are only bothersome to their parents because that is where they feel safe to act how they want to act as opposed to how they should act.  And you might be surprised what you learn from them!

September 6th, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

I used to teach pre- pointe classes, but that was to hard on my injury due to turn out.
    I love the little ones- heck, I used to teach Kindergarten, but I like to teach ballet with the students who have some dancer discipline instilled in them.