Interview Number #2

Posted on | August 18, 2011 | 16 Comments

So, my recruiter called and said there was a criminal attorney who worked NOT downtown who was looking for a paralegal to take care of all of her DWI/ALR Hearings.  That was the whole job.  I asked how much and she told me that the attorney was vauge on that, but with my experience in Criminal Law, salary shouldn’t be a problem.

I was actually excited about this job.  Only handling DWI and ALR hearings?  That is a walk in the park.  Yes, you must be organized, know the time limits, get supenoas out on time, etc., but the job is easy.  The bonus is getting the DWI CD’s from the police and watching them when you are bored.  Good  lord they are funny!

So, I met with the office manager who gave me a basic run down of the firm, the duties, introduced me to everyone, and then told me that the attorney was waiting to see me.

The interview went well.  The attorney was well spoken, very nice, and was impressed with my knowledge of ALR hearings, the timelines, ODL’s, etc.  At the end of the interview, she asked me when I could start.

Not wanting to sound too desperate, I told her in a week.  She told me that would be great, that I would be a great addition to their firm and she looked forward to working with me.

WHUCK???  I asked her if she was offering me the position.  She said yes and that I could finalize everything with her office manager….

This was VERY strange.  I was glad that she was impressed with me, but what the hell?

I asked her about salary, and she honestly tried to dodge the question.  I asked again and she said that she was paying $6.00 an hour for the position.  I swear I laughed because I thought she was kidding.  Well, she wasn’t.  She asked if that was going to be a problem.

HA!  I told her that yes, that if she expected a seasoned paralegal to do the work of ALR Hearings, etc. and only get paid $6.00 an hour, that she would be looking for a very long time to fill the position.  I told her that even recent graduates of Paralegal schools would never accept that kind of salary and that maybe she could find a high school student who she was willing to train for the job, because that would be the only option for the ridiculous salary she was offering.

She tried to explain times are tough, blah, blah, blah, and she would be open to any suggestions.  I asked her about her marketing budget, the office overhead and her salary.  She gave me a hard, cold stare when I mentioned her salary and said that she had a family to provide for and there was no way she was going to cut her salary (she also drove a brand new Mercedes which I noticed in the parking lot ). I told her that I too had a family to support, without a huge car payment and that there was no way I could work for $6.00 an hour, especially when I know how much work she would be asking me to do.  Hell, I could make more working at a department store, Hooters or a really sleazy strip club,  but good luck with that search, asked her for my resume back, thanked her for her time and left.

Seriously, $6.00 an hour for all that work???  ALR Hearings, ODL’s, etc. is easy, but time consuming and deadlines must be met.

She didn’t seem crazy or a drug addict, but she needs to put the crack pipe away now if she wants any help for her firm.  Wow- just- wow.

Comments

16 Responses to “Interview Number #2”

1. Cricket Smith
    August 18th, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

OMG, this is so typical of salary offered to paralegals in the area to which I moved two years ago.  I used to live in the Detroit Metropolitan area where salaries for paralegals are good. In fact, they’re normal (high $40’s – $60’s in my field and area of expertise). However, I moved to south central lower Michigan two years ago and these firms don’t want to pay more than minimum wage for seasoned paralegals.  I actually sent an email to one firm’s HR after reading their ad and I told them pretty much the same thing you said in your post above…about how if they want a seasoned paralegal, they would have to offer more $$…and that only a high school student might work at those low wages. Not sure it helped, but I sure felt better after sending it.

2. Aimtx
    August 18th, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

Color me terrified.  This is what I’m working my ass off for so I can quit tending bar for a living?  Seriously, how does anyone offer that wage with a straight face?  Unbelievable.

August 18th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Don’t panic. This is not typical, in my area at least. The normal salary in my area for brand new paralegals range from $12 to $15 per hour.

4. Superlegal
    August 19th, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

Seriously, don’t panic. New paralegals in my area start around $16-17/ hour plus benefits.

5. Rachelle
    August 18th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

WOW – just wow is right.  I haven’t made $6/hr since working at Long John Silvers in highschool – at 16 years old!  That firm may need to do some salary research before interviewing anyone else!  LOVE how you stuck to your guns though and told her exactly what she could expect for $6/hr.

6. Paralegalicious
    August 18th, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

That’s just… insane.  And isn’t minimum wage over $6.00 an hour now?  What is she doing?

7. Erin
    August 18th, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

WTF?!  Isn’t federal minimum wage $7.25?  That woman is completely clown shoes!  And I thought my $8.00 an hour paralegal job was bad…

8. The Extortionist
    August 18th, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Crazy bad.  Just crazy bad.

9. dallasparalegal
    August 18th, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

Even high school students in Dallas don’t want to work for $6 an hour – they get that or more for babysitting.

10. Nmty
    August 18th, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

Good God that is insane PH. As you said McDonald’s will pay you more than that, and they’re a little less stressful with their deadlines. I can’t even imagine what that woman was thinking? It actually does boggle my mind quite a bit.

August 18th, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Hasn’t she heard of Minimum Wage laws?  $6 an hour is actually illegal.  Day-umm…

August 19th, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Holy hell, that lady is definitely hitting the pipe.  Good luck with that totally insane job search lady.

Sorry it turned out to be a crappy offer.  :(

13. Superlegal
    August 19th, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

You should have asked about the benefits, just for shits and giggles, or at least for your blog’s entertainment value. :-)

14. In House Paralegal
    August 19th, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

Out of curiosity – what does your recruiter say about the salary at this place?  Most recruiters at least have an idea of what you are getting into when they send you to a place.

August 19th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

I asked my recruiter about the salary before I went. She said the attorney was vague, but we had no idea she was crazy.

August 19th, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Email me when you get a chance at paralegal@paralegalhell.com.