I Loves Me Some TLC

Posted on | August 16, 2011 | 10 Comments

Nope, not the amazing rap/group from the 90’s (although No Scrubs is still one of my favorite songs- RIP Left Eye).  I am talking about the TLC channel and one of my favorite shows.  Hoarders.

For those of you who are not obsessed with incredibly depressing reality television shows, let me introduce you to one of my favorites…”Hoarding: Buried Alive”.  This show tells the true stories of individuals whose lives are focused on a self-destructing behavior, from collecting knick-knacks that eventually force people to buy a second home just to have space to breathe, to people who hoard 85 animals in their homes, in which they live amongst lice, fleas, cockroaches, and feces everywhere in their home.  I mean everywhere- even in the kitchen and the beds.

And man do I LOVE to watch them. My name is PH and I am addicted to Hoarders.

So, why do I love this show?

First, I think that these shows highlight how many families deal with these issues and have to keep quiet about them. Often there is an unsaid rule to never talk about your strung out sister, your alcoholic parent, or your “weird” aunt who seems to like being surrounded by trash. These shows make viewers going through these issues feel less alone, and more empowered to do something about the problem.  I am positive you know someone who has these tendencies, just not to this extreme.  My dad is kind of a pack rat.  I have always told my brother that if my mother dies first, then he has to deal with Dad and the house.  Hey- I thought of it first and called dibs, so it’s his problem now.

It also makes me feel SO good about the condition of our house.  Feeling guilty about the laundry piling up, well watch an episode of Hoarders and you will feel like you are freaking Mr. Clean himself.

I try not to judge the people on the show because obviously they have a serious problem, but I have found myself becoming frustrated at the person’s inability to just change their ways through fierce will power. Just clean up the shit!  God- go to therapy.  Why are you looking through mounds of trash just to save a happy meal toy from 1989??? You seriously live in a house knee deep in used adult diapers and the cleaners have found a freaking dead cat skeleton under the mounds of crap, but you are worried about the movers losing some of your precious news clippings from 1945??? Yes,  I yell at my TV a lot when this show is on.

It is truly a fascinating show and I am hooked.  Once again, if you EVER feel bad because you didn’t clean your bathroom and do the laundry one weekend, seriously watch this show.  You will feel like the cleanest person on earth.

Comments

10 Responses to “I Loves Me Some TLC”

1. Aimtx
    August 17th, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Oh, I can’t watch this one.  It makes me too sad, and it makes my skin crawl.  My Secret Shame Reality Television is Say Yes to the Dress.  That one makes *me* yell at the tv.

August 17th, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Oh no shame in that! I watch that show as well and yell and the family members who are total bitches to the brides.

3. TxParalegal
    August 17th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I admit – I watch it too!  The only time I get really pissed is when they live in tons of filth and have kids.  It’s always sad when an addiction, disease or mental illness effects children who have no control or choice.  The only silver lining is – no matter what – these kids love their parents.  Even through the piles of crap, molded food and shame….they still want to be with mom or dad.  Just proves how amazing children are!

August 17th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

But then you have shows like “American Pickers” that show people that there is money in their junnk.  That Happy Meal toy from 1989?  Well, gosh darnit, that thing could be worth about $100! But I agree with Aimtx…the show makes my skin crawl.  In fact, after I watched it one time I immediately ran out and scrubbed my kitchen floor.

Give me the Real Housewives anyday.  THOSE shows make me feel like a freaking genius – and completely normal.

August 17th, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

Great! Now I have to find this show called American Pickers :)

6. Ty1220
    August 17th, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

I am guilty as well, I haven’t seen ” the hoarders” in quite awhile but I have seen 8 or 10 episodes here and there. My favorite was one lady who could not throw away food. In addition to that her kitchen was so crowded that she could barely move or turn around in there. She had two fridges ( at least) and I think two freezers. The best was when she plucked a package of cheese out of the bottom drawer of one fridge, which had several inches of red liquid in it. She looked it over, if I remember right she then hacked off some of the rotten parts and proclaimed it a REAL sin to throw good food like that away. The various food floating around the drawer in several inches of blood red liquid really had my stomach churning. It honestly is sad, then again no one makes them offer to go on tv and show the world their dirty laundry and wierd mental afflictions.

August 18th, 2011 @ 12:09 am

My recent favorite was the woman who hoarded animals. She had a freaking zoo living in her house and it was so gross her children moved in with their grandparents. I felt so sorry for the kids. She chose animals over her own children.
    Luckily animal control came and took most of the animals away. All the animals were in horrible condition.
    The house was disgusting. They pulled dead cats, hamsters, dogs, from all the trash. So sad.

8. OldParalegal
    August 17th, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

I don’t watch this show, but I have a very good friend who suffers this problem.  It was packrackery 20 years ago, now it’s out of control (no bugs or rotten food, but so much stuff she can only use 1 of the 3 doors into her house because the other ones are blocked).  She knows she has a problem, but there is always something else to do first.  What I don’t understand is why her husband of 30 years doesn’t do anything about it either!

August 17th, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

Maybe you could get her on the show? I am sure it is hard to suffer from this and have a tv crew show it to the world, bit they do offer aftercare…

August 18th, 2011 @ 1:44 am

I haven’t watched this one but did watch Hoarders & Obsessed on A&E for a few episodes.  Obsessed at least tried to help people with therapy for OCD and hoarding issues.  But I had to quit watching Hoarders because it made me too depressed!  I saw one with multiple dead cats & that was it for me.  Oh and one where the kids were taken away.

I haven’t watched Intervention in a while (aka Trainwreck in my house) but that one made me feel very sane & mentally healthy!  My guilty pleasure used to be Celebrity Rehab (aka Celebrity trainwreck) but that go too ridiculous after a while.