Clothes make the man….or woman

Posted on | July 28, 2011 | 7 Comments

The other day at work we had an employee picnic and, as part of the relaxed atmosphere (and because we were closing early in the middle of the heat wave), we were allowed to wear shorts and “casual” clothes. It was funny to look around and see what people wear as casual. It really shows their personality.

For example, one guy wore shorts and a golf shirt. It was out of character for him. I thought he would wear real stiff, newly purchased blue jeans. That is his personality. Stiff. But, as my eyes traveled to his feet I saw that he was wearing loafers (with tassels) and mid-calf, white athletic socks. I guess we can’t completely shed our persona.

Another example is the young females. Apparently, the goal was to make the short or skirt meet up somewhere in the middle of the body with the plunging neckline. Ladies, we are not clubbing here. You still have to remember that you are in a business situation.

One of my favorite people to work with had on Bermuda shorts and the loudest Hawaiian shirt you could ever find. Normally this man wears a suit and tie even though we are business casual. It was not what I expected from him but it fit his personality beautifully.

It just made me realize that the person we are at work may not be the person we are at home and in our “real” lives.

Comments

7 Responses to “Clothes make the man….or woman”

1. Ceci_webster
    July 28th, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

So very true! I had an office assistant once who used to wear white hot pants.

2. Anonymous
    July 28th, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Sweet!  You just reminded me of my favorite old boss :)  He was a banking and regulatory attorney – very conservative, reserved, PROPER, country club – the whole deal.  BUT – when it was golf day, he would show up in these absolutely WILD four-colored vertical panelled golf pants, a plaid sweater and a cute little hat!  He was awesome and once you got to know him, had a wicked sense of humor too!

3. Another Paralegal
    July 28th, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

I have taught my boys to be their own persons, and they are.  Unfortunately, I am now having to teach them that conforming in certain things, such as dressing, is beneficial if not a necessity in the REAL world.  While it was vital that they be independent during the “school years,” it is just as important that they learn how to blend with society on the business level.  And I am finding that the “next generation” (21 and under) have no idea what it is to look like a business person.  Schools are so busy teaching to tests that they are not teaching essentials such as letter styles, addressing envelopes, or dressing for success.  This generation is going to NEED telecommuting….they don’t even know how to speak without abbreviating text!  Ok, that’s my soap box…getting off now.  :)

4. Jen
    July 29th, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Tassels and white socks……  HILARIOUS!!!!!!

5. Sydney Muray
    July 29th, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

It is so sad and funny at the same time that you can tell how someone’s clothes fit their personality (or their personality fit their clothes?!). Once I ran into one of my bosses at the pool. He wore one of those tight bathing suits. I quit a week later because I cracked up every time I saw him in the office from that day on. Sad…

6. Paralegal Hell
    August 2nd, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Oh God!  I am now picturing my old boss in a Speedo.  I need to go pour some bleach on my brain now.  Yuck!
    CORPORATE- keep rocking the posts!  We will be back soon :)

7. Sydney Muray
    August 4th, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Hah, sorry for putting that on you. My bad :-)