A New Day

Posted on | June 28, 2011 | 25 Comments

Yesterday was my wake up call.  I have found that for the last few months I have been stressed beyond belief.  I started letting normal things that I would usually not give a second thought, turn into a mountain of stress and anger.

After a horrible night of sleep (sorry HSF), I decided no more.  I was done with the Death Star and it’s soul sucking environment.  When I made that decision, a weird thing happened.

I had the most wonderful feeling of peace wash over me.  I haven’t been at peace for a long time.

First and foremost, I realize plenty of people are looking for a job and can’t imagine leaving a job right now. I realize the idea of resigning from a paying job seems foolish in this economy. But I also know that many people are leaving jobs for several reasons. If you read my blog, you know why I have to get the hell out of the Death Star.

So, I gave my two week notice.  There was no drama, no confrontation, just PEACE.  I kept my emotions in check and walked out of HR feeling great.

I have a couple of job leads, but I will worry about that later.  Right now, I think Ralph Waldo Emerson said it best with “Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending.”

Comments

25 Responses to “A New Day”

1. Christy
    June 28th, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Good for you!  I know you will find something, and hopefully it will be better.  I am incredibly lucky to have a boss who is easy going and really allows me a lot of freedom that other paralegals / legal secretaries do not have.  And that peaceful feeling is wonderful to have – and to hang onto!  :)

2. Ty1220
    June 28th, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Good for you PH ! I have done the same more than once, even when jobs were scarce and I really just needed to have any kind of job. Don’t spend a moment fretting about quitting a job when so many people are looking for one, you are creating an opening for one of those people. So many jobs absolutely aren’t worth it, in the stress and hate that you feel just in being there. The anxiety that I felt about being out of work and having to job hunt was still three times better than the anxiety of facing another day in a lot of those places. Good luck on the search, hope you can rest up a bit in the process.

June 28th, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

You made the right decision.  Congrats for taking back control.

June 28th, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Thank you everyone. I am excited. Two weeks can’t get here fast enough!

June 29th, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Thanks. I needed some sanity back in my life.

6. Karrisa
    June 28th, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

I know exactly how you feel! I made the same decision a few years ago and even though it was a bit rough for a bit, I know it was the right decision. While a paycheck is a valuable thing, so is your mental health and well being! Good luck!!

June 29th, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Coming from you, that means alot! Thank you.

8. TxParalegal
    June 28th, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Good for you!!  There is a lot to be said for having the confidence not to settle for what you are worth, what you deserve.  The next two weeks will be awesome!!

June 29th, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Yes they will be!!

10. Paralegal_ChaChaCha
    June 28th, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

Congratulations, PH!
    I love your description of the peace that washed over you when you finally pulled the plug… that beautiful feeling of knowing in your core that you made the right decision.
    A lady as sharp as you will have no problem finding another position… You are brave, and inspirational.

June 29th, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

You are so sweet! Thank you

June 28th, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

I have so much admiration for you right now. What courage you have!!  You will find something.  You are too good.  Your knowledge of bankruptcy alone is invaluable.

June 29th, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Thank you! I am just looking forward to never having to see the Death Star again

June 28th, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Woo hoo PH!  I am so happy for you!  I just know there is something better out there for you.  Definitely a good decision.  Your health (mental & otherwise) is worth it!

15. The Extortionist
    June 28th, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!  You will find a job and quickly.  I know it!  If you are half as competent as your are funny then I am sure the offers will come.

(Please tell me you were kidding about them monitoring/limiting bathroom time!)

16. OldParalegal
    June 28th, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

You did the right thing!  Although misery loves company, some of your stories of the deathstar made me cringe.  No job is perfect but most are better than what you had.  Years ago, an attorney told me “you just have to put up with it.”  No, really, you don’t; they ended slavery in this country.  I walked away that day, no notice and never looked back. I am sending good thoughts your way.

17. Smilegal :)
    June 29th, 2011 @ 12:48 am

Congrats on the great decision !!! I know how are you feeling as I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Still smiling, no regrets.

Love your blog and wish you best of luck. You deserve waaaaay better than DS!

18. Dee
    June 29th, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Amen!  When I let go of my attachment to my own death star, i felt the weight of the world lift off.  No regrets!

19. Getawaygirlie8
    June 29th, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Good for you! I’m jealous that you got to put your two weeks notice. I hope my day comes soon!

June 29th, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Thanks! You’re day will come soon

21. DenPL
    June 29th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Way to go!!!!  You have to let us know when your last day is.  Even though many of us aren’t in Texas, I know I would be absolutely thrilled to go out and raise a glass (or 10!) to your escape!  Good things find you when you let go of the bad – I have no doubt you’ll find a new job soon.  Sans Storm Troopers – YAY!!!

22. Brooke_kuhns
    June 30th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Congratulations! A paycheck is never as valuable as your sanity.  Here’s hoping it doesn’t take too long to find a place you love.

23. Superlegalfun
    July 5th, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

I have confidence in you. You’ll land on your feet, hopefully in a lush office full of people who deserve to be blessed by your existence. I wish I had those cahunas…

July 5th, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

Thanks! I hope so!!

25. DS Escapee
    July 5th, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

I just checked your blog and noticed this entry. Congratulations! It’s a tough decision to make but you won’t regret leave the Death Star behind you.