The Interns….

Posted on | June 22, 2011 | 8 Comments

Dear God, once again, I am not making this up.

I was taking my precious 15 minute break and came back to my office.  Here is the interaction with the intern when I sat down.

Intern:  “‘Sumwon phoned ya’”
Me:  ‘Oh? Who?’
Intern:  “‘Dunno’”
Me ‘What did they want?’
Intern: “Dunno”
Me: ‘”Well didn’t you write anything down?’
Intern: “‘Yeah’”

And hands me a note saying ‘Phone call for PH!”

That is awesome.  I asked the intern to next time just let it roll to voice mail.

Comments

8 Responses to “The Interns….”

1. Rachelle
    June 22nd, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

WOW just WOW!  I wonder what would happen if I tried during that same thing to one of the attorneys?  Yeah, I’d probably be looking for a new job!

2. dallasparalegal
    June 22nd, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Gosh, I think I resemble that intern.  I get calls all the time where the caller doesn’t want to give me a name, phone number or reason for calling.  They only want to speak to the “boss”.  These are not sales calls either, they are usually other attorneys.  These arrogant #@&^%.  I have told my boss several times that somebody called, but I have no name, no number and no other information because they wouldn’t speak to me.  LMAO

3. Fort Worth 8L
    June 22nd, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

As an attorney, don’t tell me about a phone call where you have no information on who, what or why they called.  I don’t care about it and you shouldn’t either.

4. C H
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 12:19 am

Lol! Better than one of the admins I work with telling an intern on their first day, “Only forward me the important calls” without more detail. Not sure how the intern was supposed to figure out what’s important or why an admin would think she wouldn’t have to answer a phone…

June 23rd, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

I weep for the future of humanity.

6. dallasparalegal
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

I do care because I will have to deal with that arrogant so and so at some point when he realizes that unless I know what it’s about and who he is he will never get to speak to either individual I work for.  My job is not just to screen calls but to handle them in those situations that I can.   And as an attorney, you should care.  Your attitude shows the same disdain for your paralegal as the attorney calling.  If the paralegal is being treated as a lowly peon, you should want to know who the butthole is that is treating him/her that way.  Why is it that attorneys demand respect yet have no idea how to give it?

7. Fort Worth 8L
    June 23rd, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

DP, if some idjit treats my paralegal that way, I give my paralegal full empowerment to not care who it was that couldn’t play nicely with my paralegal.  In other words, if the other attorney or whomever is so stupid as to not realize that my gatekeeper paralegal is important, then both my paralegal and I will treat them like they don’t exist.  However, it is not worth my paralegal’s time for him or her to get worked up over it.  Doing so wastes energy.  Fortunately my paralegal understands that and ignores the yayhoos who are so dumb.

June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I have always wanted to ask, but kept forgetting, what area of law do you practice?