Ugh…

Posted on | April 14, 2011 | 16 Comments

Is there really any relief from job stress? I read more and more articles about scheduling your time, talking to your boss, and other ways to relieve job stress. I’ve even read that you may just have to quit your job. Yeah right, how may people in this economy have enough savings to tie them over if they just decide to up and leave their jobs? How many jobs can you truly decide what you are going to do and when? With my current job and jobs I’ve had in the past, you have to do the work as it comes. Bosses hound you and you have to answer to them now, not schedule them in when you anxiety levels allow you too. Lets get real here!

As with every morning, I layed in bed long after the alarm went off, wondering what would happen if I just didn’t go in. I knew what stress was ahead for the day and just didn’t want to deal with it…then reality set in. I hopped out of bed and grudgingly left for work.

Now that I’m here, I’m miserable. Day after day, week after week. My health is failing, I swear I am getting more lines around my eyes  and I’m nauseous, but guess what; I still have bills to pay, so off I go.

How would that look on a resume anyway? “I left my last job because I couldn’t handle the stress.” I suppose there are more creative ways to word it, but what about when they call for references. Most every listing for jobs I read in my field states “must be able to handle stressful situations”. Are they advertising that your job will be stressful? Of course not.  Even after successfully interviewing potential employers, I find out after the fact (from my fellow employees) that the person who’s position I took hated the particular position because of one sort of stress or another. The employer painted a different picture during the interview. You know “They couldn’t handle the work” etc. Employers, just like employees on resumes, can make anything look rosier that it really is.

Take the Death Star. The woman I replaced worked here for many years and retired. I was told everyone has worked here 10+ years so,  “This company must be alright”. WRONG...Everyone who works here is burned out and miserable. The woman I replaced only held this position for a few of her years, then couldn’t handle the stress and crappy treatment anymore. So here I sit, stress out and sick.

Till yet another day…….

So, how is YOUR day :)

Comments

16 Responses to “Ugh…”

1. Ugh… – Paralegal Hell
    April 14th, 2011 @ 4:56 am

[…] Originally posted &#1072t th&#1110&#1109 time: Ugh… – Paralegal Hell […]

2. Michael
    April 14th, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

Sounds awful… I don’t even bother trying to fight the panic attacks at work now… it’s a lost battle as far as I’m concerned! 😉

April 14th, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

I don’t have panic attacks, just unfocused rage. I keep a bunch of those $3 plastic lawn chairs on my patio, and on a particularly bad day I’ll smash one against the concrete. Makes me feel better, and noone gets hurt. (Except the chair.)

April 14th, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

I now have this image of you turning into the Hulk. I am so buying you a t-shirt that says “Grumpy-Smash!”

April 15th, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

YES!!! Why didn’t I think of that myself? We could sell them!

April 14th, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

I’ll get through it. I just need to up my meds, or booze intake.
    Looking for a new job. Not sure if I want to stay in legal right now.

April 14th, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Even though I’m at a good law firm, it still feels like the job itself is slowly killing me.

April 14th, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

That is what I am afraid of. The Death Star sucks, but maybe I am just plain burnt out?

April 14th, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

On a serious note, I try very hard to find joy in the little things both at work and away (mostly away). For example, last night, my almost teen son came to me after he was all showered and clean and asked if he could cuddle next to me. Seriously – AND HE WAS CLEAN! So I am holding on to that little memory today.

And it even happens at work….maybe it is a bit vindictive when I know that I am right and boss is wrong…but it is a little something.

And these moments are mine alone. No one else can take them. No one else can ruin them. No one else has a right to them.

April 14th, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

That was a nice comment that made me smile.

11. SC
    April 14th, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I get annoyed because I work and work and at our little firm and things are so rocky, sometimes I do not even know if I am going to get paid, my checks have been later numerous times, I apply for other jobs all the time, with no luck, just have to keep on keepin on, now I have a mortgage so I have no choice but to stick it out no matter what
    :( Sigh…

April 14th, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Oh, I have been where you are. It sucks! At my first job at being a paralegal, I worked there for two months and then
    my paychecks would bounce. It got to the point that the attorneys bank manager would call me and tell me to hurry up to the bank and cash it when funds came in.
    Sad thing is the attorney didn’t care. Wasn’t embarrassed or anything.
    They repossessed her BMW the last day I was there. It was awesome!

April 15th, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

At my first firm, we took stock of whther to stay when the sole equity partner traded in his 9-month-old Cadillac Escalade for a used Ford F-150.

14. Lost Paralegal
    April 14th, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

Some days are good, some days are bad.

Boss is not there? Good.

Stuff doesn’t go horribly wrong? Good.

I have low standards for good these days.

April 15th, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Getting through the day without yelling at anyone is Good for me at this point.

16. This Bracket’s Asphyxiating Me « Space Monkey
    April 15th, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

[…] Oh, wait… Well, shit… Paralegal Hell!! Why did you have to remind me of my eternal responsibilities? Well, thanks SO much. I guess I’ll wait off on buying that one belt for work and keep […]