Pictures on Resumes

Posted on | March 18, 2011 | 13 Comments

You are going to get different reactions to this topic, but I personally, don’t like to see pictures, especially family pictures on resumes.

Why, you ask?

Most of the people we hire at The Death Star? I don’t want to see a picture. Have you looked around law school recently? Sitting in front of a computer all day doesn’t exactly do wonders for the physical appearance. I don’t want to have nightmares. The less I look at the people around here, the better.

And their families? That’s the last picture I want. I don’t want to know what your kids look like as I’m forcing you from an Admiral’s order to cancel your family vacation. I don’t want to know what your wife looks like as I’m telling you on Darth Vader’s orders to stay late on her birthday. I don’t want to know what your dog looks like as I’m forbidding you on the Emperor’s orders to go home and feed her even though you had no reason to think you’d be here all weekend and there’s no one with a key to your apartment who can go in and give her some food. I don’t want to know what you look like in casual clothes. I don’t want to know what you look like when you smile. No one smiles here. I haven’t seen a smile since I have been here. I don’t want to see it in a picture.

Pictures make it too hard for me.

Happy Friday Everyone!

Comments

13 Responses to “Pictures on Resumes”

March 18th, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Putting a picture on your resume screams “Look at me! I’m so wonderful! LOOK AT ME DAMMIT!!!” Even if the interviewer doesn’t think that, it’s a possibility, and one that’s easily avoided. Besides, we work at law firms, not modeling agencies.

March 18th, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

OMG, I completely agree. I got a doctor’s CV the other day with their picture on it, first time I’ve ever seen that. C’mon, does that REALLY seem professional?

March 22nd, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I know. It’s kinda creepy.

March 22nd, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

I had a funny moment in my head where I hire a photographer to do some headshots of me and then sending out my resume.
    Yeah- it was funnier in my head :)

5. Pictures on Resumes – Paralegal Hell | The law and You
    March 18th, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

[…] extra fr&#959m th&#1077 original source: Pictures &#959n Resumes – Paralegal Hell This entry was posted in 18, 2011, advice, Al, Am, bar, boss, case, Charles, Entertainment, for, […]

6. Pictures on Resumes – Paralegal Hell
    March 18th, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

[…] Scan th&#1077 original: Cinema &#959n Resumes – Paralegal Hell […]

7. Pictures on Resumes – Paralegal Hell | Legal and Law Info
    March 18th, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

[…] View first placement &#1072t th&#1110&#1109 time: Pictures &#959n Resumes – Paralegal Hell […]

8. Pictures on Resumes – Paralegal Hell | Fantastic Legal Information
    March 18th, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

[…] Extra here: Cinema &#959n Resumes – Paralegal Agony […]

9. The Extortionist
    March 20th, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

I was born somewhat sarcastic. Back in the ’80s when journalists started posting their pictures next to their column I spewed something like “It is bad enough to have to read this dribble now we have to look at the jackass who wrote it to boot!” I would repeat that for pictures on resumes.

Being bald, 300 pounds and looking a bit like Steve Wilkos, what law firm would bring me in for an interview me? Is the whole world a potential reality tv show?

OY!

March 22nd, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

You make a great point. It does seem like some people walk around as if they are in their own reality show.

11. Anonymous
    March 24th, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Whoa whoa whoa… pump the breaks. Back up, back up… Do people even do that?? Seriously?? I’m utterly speechless.

And I assume these could not possibly be the same people who have worked so hard to get through law school and get accepted by their state’s bar, right? These could only fall under the administrative assistant position seekers. Actually, these are the ones who would rather be called secretaries, right? Oh, God, please tell me I’m right… Please tell me that they sent you a sample of their cross stitch or at least BeDazzled their resume as well. Tell me that they want you to sign up for their monthly potpourri making newsletter.

Guys, I just decided to take the LSAT and if this is how we seriously turn out, send me a gun right now.

March 24th, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Oh yes. I get them all the time. From attorneys, paralegals, receptionists. You name it.
    I took the LSAT in October (on a bet). Let me know if you need anything.

13. Bravo, Pear Bottom « Space Monkey
    April 26th, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

[…] to give the court the pleadings. This completely blows me. This is, if you read the blogs of Paralegal Hell, Grumpy Humbug, or Superlegal Fun, what seems to be a common theme with attorneys as a lack of […]