Sunday Blues

Posted on | February 22, 2011 | 15 Comments

I’ve noticed a new trend of mine. While I should be enjoying my weekends and days off; I find that every Sunday I get the blues. All day I have “heading back to work” in the back of my head. Instead of relaxing or enjoying my day I sit and dread Monday (and the rest of the work week for that matter).

I hate the fact that I’m wasting my life on the Death Star. It really takes some purpose away from my life. Its hard for me to find a work/life balance when the work aspect is so miserable. I spend too much time erasing and trying to get thoughts of work out of my head on my time off.

All Stormtroopers are feeling especially unappreciated right now. A while back we thought morale couldn’t get an lower, while guess what….it did. The Admirals continue to treat us like we are expendable and take advantage of as at every opportunity. The way we feel about our job is directly related to the way they treat us. I’m so burned out and tired. I hate the fact that going in to work everyday is a miserable task instead of an opportunity to shine and exercise my brain and accomplish something meaningful.

Every time I read an article about office morale I always hope The Death Star read it and recognize it as it relates to our situation, of course that never happens. In fact they continue to work in the opposite direction. As the Death Star’s morale becomes more dire, instead of working towards making the staff happier and more productive, they make cutbacks and “nickle and dime” us, which has the opposite effect they are going for. While they save a couple of dollars a month, which isn’t enough to help anything, we become less productive and to be blunt…we don’t give a crap.

Comments

15 Responses to “Sunday Blues”

1. Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell | Legal and Law Info
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

[…] Excerpt from: Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell […]

2. Sarah Thompson
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

I am with you on that. I was informed at the beginning of the year that I’m being laid off at the end of this month. I’ve been counting down. On bad days (which are many more than the good) I even figure up the seconds. I am planning to talk to my boss today to make sure he hasn’t changed his mind.

3. Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

[…] Read the original here: Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell […]

4. Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell | The law and You
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

[…] the original post: Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell This entry was posted in 2011, 4, AC, Al, At, Cent, Custom, E., EP, Jan, January, Le, Legal News, […]

5. Anon
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

I totally agree with your blog. In my case, instead of praising for work done well, I am scolded for minor errors. There is absolutely no communication and I am expected to know what they want and need at all times. Example, trial last week went super smooth with one small glitch. The attorney wanted the video depos synched with the exhibits. As an IT person as well as a paralegal, too much on the screen is distracting so I opted for no synching. Well, I received a reprimand for that. I asked the attorney for input but he was always busy and brushed off all my questions. It has become so bad, that I really could care less if they like my work or not. I used to love to go to work – now it’s just another day.

6. Anonymous
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

At least you’re competent at your job. I got straight A’s in my paralegal program and I am an utter failure at being a paralegal. I am about to turn 40 and don’t know what to do now. I hate, hate the way attorneys and other paralegals treat me. I graduated in 2008 and got my first job as a “paralegal” working on this never-ending breast implant settlement. I don’t use any of my training and now have forgotten most of it. When I was first hired they tried to use me as a regular paralegal but as I had no real experience I messed up a lot of things. The other paralegal and law clerk hated me on sight (why???) and told me that if I didn’t know how to hit the job running I was of no value to them. Is that fair? Is that how it’s going to be at every job I apply for? How do I get the actual on the job training if no one will allow me to learn on the job? I feel like a great big bag of s**t.

I hope you get off of the Death Star and land a nice job on Endor.

The Bad Paralegal

February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:18 am

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are a better Paralegal than you probably give yourself credit for. Everyone has a learning period and it is stupid that the law clerk expected you to be fresh out of school and know exactly what to do. The good thing is when the law clerk graduates law school, those words will bite him/her in the ass :)
    I was great in Paralegal school too, but got put in the legal world and found put I didn’t know a damn thing. My school did not train me as it should have. I made lots of mistakes and learned by taking lots of notes and reading lots of software manuals.
    Here is another handy tip I used. If my attorney asked for something, I would write it down and if I had no idea how to do it I would look up random law offices in big towns in the state I live in and call one of the firms and ask to speak to a paralegal.
    I would tell them who I was, what city I was calling from and explain that I just graduated, my attorney asked for x y z and could they help. Every single paralegal was so nice and helped me. It helped that I was calling from another city because it took the pressure off of them helping out someone who could be a threat to their job.
    Hang in there. I does get better.
    I hope I end up on Endor one day too :)

8. Anonymous
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:32 am

Thank you that was so nice to read. It’s been a hard couple of months.

TBP

9. DenParalegal
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

You need to change your name! It sounds more like you got trapped in a place where no one took the time to show you what you need to know. I did things kind of backwards… I was a paralegal for seveal years, *then* got the certificate (mo’ money!). I can honestly say that while the information in the classes is good, it pretty much has nothing to do with being a paralegal in most firms. So – hang in there – brush up your resume and keep your head up!! Also, check out the local bar association – sometimes they have some pretty decent *free* classes that can give you more training.

DP

10. Anonymous
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

I hope you get off of the Death Star and land a nice job on Endor.

The Bad Paralegal

11. Guest
    June 22nd, 2011 @ 12:27 am

This is my EXACT reality.  I have been a paraslave for 4.5 years and have NO skills.  After a bachelor’s degree from a reputable university and then 2 paralegal associate’s degrees, I’ve got nothing.  Now I’m working in Family Law and what a mistake that was.  No one teaches me anything, so I’m forced to learn from my plentiful mistakes… that I’m screeched at for making.  What a wonderful career it is.  I am so beyond jaded and burnt out that I don’t see how I can work at another law firm.  I have even had a “talking to” over not looking happy around the firm.  Give me a break.  I’m paying off my debts then taking a cushy desk job paying next to nothing so that I can keep the little shred of sanity that I have left.

12. Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell « judicial system report
    February 22nd, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

[…] the original: Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell Related Posts:Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell Paralegal Certification · Paralegal Blogs. […]

13. Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell | Fantastic Legal Information
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 12:26 am

[…] Read the rest here: Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell […]

14. Fort Worth 8L
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

I can understand your Sunday blues. I had a boss at one time who thought it was a mark of achievement that he had employees who had to stop their car to throw up on the way into the office. He was one of those who felt we should live to work and anything else in our lives (including family) was a distraction to be kept in a tightly closed box.

15. Sunday Blues – Paralegal Hell | U.S. Justice Talk
    March 4th, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

[…] Catherine posted about this interesting story. Here is a small section of the postExample, trial last week went super smooth with one small glitch. The attorney wanted the video depos synched with the exhibits. As an IT person as well as a paralegal, too much on the screen is distracting so I opted for no synching. … I got straight A’s in my paralegal program and I am an utter failure at being a paralegal. I am about to turn 40 and don’t know what to do now. I hate, hate the way attorneys and other paralegals treat me. I graduated in 2008 and got my … […]