Disappointment

Posted on | February 16, 2011 | 17 Comments

I was offered a job recently by an attorney, who I considered a friend.  They had a paralegal opening for their their Personal Injury portion of their firm and he called me in for an interview.

The decision, of course, was not his to make.  It would be the head of the firm and the attorney that I would work for, but I was grateful for the opportunity to get off the Death Star, so I made an appointment to meet with the head boss and the PI attorney.

I liked the head boss.  I actually knew him before, when I was a criminal law paralegal.  He helped me out several times when my old employer wouldn’t get out of bed and I needed an attorney to go to hearings at the last minute.  We got along fine.  Then I met the PI attorney.

The minute I saw him, I knew he was an asshole.  Oh, he was polite and tried to be charming in the interview, but something in my gut told me he was bad news.

After the interviews, I saw my attorney friend and asked him about the PI attorney.  He stated he didn’t know too much about him, but that he has a reputation of being difficult.  Red flag.  I asked how many paralegals he has had and he stated that since he has been at the firm, which was three years, the PI attorney has been through 13 different paralegals.  Wow.  HUGE red flag.

Then, the disappointment came.  The attorney, who I considered a friend, made the move on me.  I won’t go into details but basically wanted me in the office so he could be “closer” to me.  Fucking awesome.

The Death Star is bad enough and now someone who I considered a friend just wanted a nice booty call for his office.

I am seriously reconsidering the legal field.  So far, most of the attorneys are only disappointments.  Power hungry, ego driven assholes.

Of course, I declined the offer to work for the firm.

Comments

17 Responses to “Disappointment”

1. Ageeadmin
    February 16th, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

I simply can’t understand why you would turn down this offer!

February 16th, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

I know! Such great perks that I turned down.
    If you are interested, let me know. I can hook you up :)

3. Ageeadmin
    February 16th, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

LMAO. I am sure he would be interested in a 63 year old like me.

February 16th, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

Age means nothing. If you are hot, you are hot :)

5. Disappointment – Paralegal Hell
    February 16th, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

[…] Read more: Disappointment – Paralegal Hell […]

6. Litigation_Paralegal
    February 16th, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I wouldn’t have taken the job either. Unfortunately, the good attorneys are few and far between. It totally sucks to be disappointed by someone you thought was a friend — what a schmuck! I studied court reporting back in the early 1990’s and am buying stenotype theory books soon to re-learn it and start practicing. After twenty years in this field and now being paid less per year than I was making in 1998, I am making a break for it. Your blog is great and I enjoy reading it. I believe you are a huge asset to the paralegal field and appreciate your candid descriptions of life in the legal trenches, but a person can only take so much and you have to do what is right for you and your family. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

February 16th, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

Thanks so much. I am not doing anything drastic, just re- thinking things.
    I am mostly dissappointed with my so called friend.

8. Disappointment – Paralegal Hell | The law and You
    February 16th, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

[…] the original post: Disappointment – Paralegal Hell This entry was posted in AC, Act, Al, All, Ari, At, Criminal, E., Ever, Hearing, LA, Last, Le, […]

9. AJEsq.
    February 16th, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

So you’re NOT working down the hall from me?? Guess that explains the lack of lunch invitations. :(

And is there anything I can do for you with respect to this “friend”?

February 16th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

No. Didn’t want to tell you about all the mess. Have been pretty down.
    Oh, I wish you could walk down the hall and pummel the shit out of all three of them, but I love you too much for you to go to jail :)

11. you and the law » Disappointment – Paralegal Hell
    February 16th, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

[…] posted here: Disappointment – Paralegal Hell Tagged with: [ a-criminal-law, actually-knew, bed-and, criminal-law-, fine, get-out, […]

12. Cheri S.
    February 16th, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

PH that’s not a Friend.. that’s an ASS.. Glad you saw the red flags early.

February 16th, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

Thanks!

February 16th, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Holy hell! Really? What is going on down in your state?

February 16th, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

I wish I could tell you this was the only time this has happened, but sadly this has happened more often than not.
    This was the only time it happened with a so called friend.

16. Disappointment – Paralegal Hell | Legal and Law Info
    February 16th, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

[…] Go here to read the rest: Disappointment – Paralegal Hell […]

February 17th, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

There’s something about law school that sucks the humanity out of people. Even people who go to law school and never actually practice law act like that. I’m good friends with many of the attorneys I work with, but it’s a bit annoying to deal with them. Especially the knuckle-draggers who think all men want to hear their comments about some woman’s ass.