Fun With The Phone

Posted on | January 20, 2011 | 11 Comments

Me: “Death Star, how can I help you?

Caller: “You are suing my wife and I.  We are dead!”

Me: “Excuse me- you are dead?”

Caller: “Not me, my wife.  I don’t own this house anymore and you are suing a dead person.:

Me: “Actually sir, we are suing the estate.  If you were married to her, it is your responsibility to pay the taxes.  Just because you wife passed away does not mean you get to live in your house tax free.”

Caller: “But it is my wife’s house.  She is dead!”

Me: “Sir, I am very sorry for you loss..”

Caller: “Don’t be- if she didn’t die, I was going to divorce her anyway.”

Me: “Nice. OK- when she died, the house fell to you as an inheritance, right?”

Caller: “Yes.”

Me: “So, you now are responsible for the house and any payments or taxes that accrue.”

Caller: “That is stupid.  I don’t think that is right.”

Me: “You know what, maybe I am wrong.  Let me transfer you to an attorney who can see if I am wrong.”

Caller: “Thanks!  That would be great.  Tell them that they are suing a dead person.”

Me: “You got it sir.”

Sigh…

Comments

11 Responses to “Fun With The Phone”

1. OldParalegal
    January 20th, 2011 @ 3:17 am

Oh, how I wish I had your clients just for a day to crack me up. Corporate product engineers just aren’t as much fun.

January 20th, 2011 @ 4:03 am

Come visit anytime! I would love having another sane person on the Death Star for awhile.

3. you and the law » Fun With The Phone – Paralegal Hell
    January 20th, 2011 @ 5:46 am

[…] post: Fun With The Phone – Paralegal Hell Tagged with: [ accused, certified-for, county-exec, grit-teeth, january, jobless, milwaukee, […]

January 20th, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

I had a similar conversation once, but it was delinquent mortgage payments instead of taxes. The co-signer thought because the other signer died, the bank would actually forgo the rest of the mortgage! We ended up dragging her in front of a Judge to get the point across.

5. Hswhitaker
    January 20th, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

OK, so the wife (who he was going to divorce) died and he still lives in the house. Did he think she somehow prepaid the mortgage and all of the taxes and utilities in her will so he could live rent free until he found another sucker, er, wife? I’m going to guess he doesn’t make his living by applying logic.

January 20th, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

He must be a lawyer…

7. Theaimlesswonderer
    January 20th, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

What a heartless moron.

January 20th, 2011 @ 8:19 pm
    January 20th, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

(In my best Obi Wan Kenobee voice while waving my fingers in a Jedi fashion) “I am not the one you should be suing. You should not be suing me because my wife is dead.”

It worked for Obi Wan!

10. Nikki McKnight
    January 20th, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

Wow. Just wow.

11. Lastest Nuclear Missiles News | Nuclear Missile Info
    January 21st, 2011 @ 4:16 am

[…] Top 10 Tech Scares of the Decade The past ten years saw some terrifying technology–and we haven’t even faced the Death Star yet. Read more on PC World Additionally you can check out this related post: http://paralegalhell.com/2011/01/20/fun-with-the-phone-40/ […]