My Productive Day

Posted on | November 23, 2010 | 18 Comments

So, my day at work was so very productive.

What did I do, you ask?

I spent 6 hours trying to locate a file.  Yep.  That’s it.  Walking all around the office, checking the file room, offices, cubicles, desks, drawers, bathrooms, elevators,  etc.  Hell- if I could have gotten up into the ceiling, I would have tried.

The file disappeared from an attorneys office.  The problem is, He doesn’t remember who he gave it to.

Now.  Here is where it gets tricky (I am using HEAVY sarcasm).  I have been there for about a month now and I know the damn procedure to checking files in and out.  It really isn’t that fucking hard.  However, it seems like only a handful of people actually do this.

So, instead of just pulling up the case number on the software, saying, “Oh- it looks like you gave it to your Paralegal”, and then have the attorney go get the damn file from his Paralegal, instead, I am sent trying to find a needle in a haystack.

After six hours of searching, a mass email going out to EVERYONE to check if they have the file and an attorney breathing down my neck, I still didn’t find it.

Yep- that is what I went to Paralegal school for.  Idiots.

Comments

18 Responses to “My Productive Day”

1. The Extortionist
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

How do you bill your time for that?

November 24th, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Give them my bar tab bill?

November 23rd, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

Ugh, that sucks. And they get paid the big bucks to not follow procedure and fuck everything up. Fun times.
    Did he look in his frickin’ briefcase? Or car? When something is lost in my office, usually my boss has it, even when he SWEARS he gave it to me.

4. Liz
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

It was probably in the attorney’s office. That’s what happens here.

November 23rd, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

There are certain attorneys who I never let have files for this reason. I’ll actually maintain a separate “working” file in their office at the same time I’m maintaining the real file in my own office. Half the time, they’re none the wiser.

November 24th, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

I wish I had that option here.

7. Ft Worth 8L
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

Are you certain that this wasn’t a form of hazing test for the newby?

November 23rd, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

Nope. This is the way things go here.
    Good times.

9. Anonymous paralegal
    November 24th, 2010 @ 1:58 am

Last week my boss could not find a large value settlement check. I spent an hour searching the entire office, looking through every file we might have touched the day before, only to finally find it in the spare bathroom, sitting atop the toilet.

10. Ft Worth 8L
    November 24th, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

We don’t let the boss touch money here. At least not until it is recorded on the books, and definitely not checks.

11. My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell
    November 24th, 2010 @ 2:25 am

[…] View post: My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell […]

12. My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell | The law and You
    November 24th, 2010 @ 2:36 am

[…] the original post: My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell Related Posts:Day Three – Paralegal HellDay One Continued…. – Paralegal HellWhat A […]

13. My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell | Legal and Law Info
    November 24th, 2010 @ 3:03 am

[…] more here: My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell other similar posts:Day Three – Paralegal Hell Comments. Corporate Paralegal . No IT support […]

14. you and the law » My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell
    November 24th, 2010 @ 3:53 am

[…] from: My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell Tagged with: [ attorney, damn, damn-file, from-his, get-the, have-the, looks-like, number-on-the, […]

15. My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell | Fantastic Legal Information
    November 24th, 2010 @ 10:36 am

[…] here: My Productive Day – Paralegal Hell Related Posts:Day Three – Paralegal Hell Comments. Corporate Paralegal . No IT support yet? […]

16. The Extortionist
    November 24th, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

I had an experience slightly stranger than this. We were literally turning the office upside down looking for a transcript of a court hearing. I re-read something which got me thinking. A couple of calls to the court later it turns out that the transcript in question had never been transcribed. That’s right, it didn’t exist in paper form, except perhaps in the attorney’s mind.

What was weird is what happened next, they all still kept looking for the “transcript” despite my having proved it didn’t exist. I was reprimanded for not following orders. Despite me stating over and over “I refuse to waste my time looking for things I know doesn’t exist” and “you have got to be kidding me.” I gave notice the next day. Wonder what they were smoking.

17. The Extortionist
    November 24th, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

I mean things that don’t exist. I really need to go back to proof reading school.

November 24th, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

No worries. That is what spelling Nazi, AJesq is for.