My Friday

Posted on | November 19, 2010 | 25 Comments

Hope you are having a wonderful Friday.  Mine is freaking awful.

I haven’t blogged much about the new job because I wanted to get my bearings, get training under my belt, know the procedures, etc. but I am quickly learning that my training is over (which was pretty non-existent) and I am now left to fend for myself.  Awesome!

My manager throws things at me with no clarification and when I pin her down, she tells me that she will get with me later, which of course, never happens.  So, I have at least 12 projects with no clarification on what needs to be done.  She also has the tendency to assign things to me without my knowledge and then only hear about them when someone comes looking for the “assigned” project I was supposed to do.

Another thing that really sucks here is the following.  I know one of my readers knows exactly what I am talking about.

Each person has their own set of assigned tasks and you are not to deviate from that under any circumstances. Which should work fine if most people  actually did their job, but that isn’t the case.  If you need to draft a motion, you have to fill out a form and pass the file off to a word processor.  Then if there are errors in the document, you have to mark it up and return it to a word processor. If you need to follow up on a citation that hasn’t been served yet, you have to send an email to the citation clerk and wait for them to get around to it.  If you need to look up a new address for a defendant, you have to fill out a form and pass the file off to the research department.  And typically in order to get those files back, you  waste a ton of time hounding the individual responsible to do their job. You must never deviate from procedure and take 5 seconds to correct the spelling typo in the document yourself.  In the meantime, most of the Paralegal’s look like  idiots in the weekly meeting because the file still isn’t ready.

Most of my time is spent searching for missing files and hounding people to do their job.   I don’t have time for this and the other billion projects my manager gives me.

Please do not respond with “well, that is what it is like in a fast paced, big law firm” or I will lose it.  I have worked for bigger law firms at a faster pace.  They had their shit together.  This one does not.

On the positive side, I passed the Dress Code Police today and they didn’t say a word about my jeans and boots.  Yea!

Comments

25 Responses to “My Friday”

1. The Extortionist
    November 19th, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

I worked for a firm where I had to e-mail 7 different people before I could open a new matter for an existing client. No work could be done on any matter prior to the matter being approved. I was told it took up to ten days for the process to approve or decline, or to send back to me for more information. We had clients that would birth new matters by the hour.

Instead of helping us work around this system the powers that be actually policed our activities to ensure we weren’t working on matters prior to them being approved! Way to treat a client who spent over 1.3 million in our firm for legal services.

You are not alone. I feel your pain. Vodka and creative visualization help.

November 19th, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

Creatively visualizing vodka?

3. The Extortionist
    November 19th, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

Vodka – drinking. Creative Visualizaion – dismembering those who cause you stress!

4. Nikki
    November 19th, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

Wow!! Does any attorney know how to run and manage a firm–that sounds ridiculous!! How is anyone surviving?

November 19th, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

I can only answer for myself on survival. Anxiety meds and vodka.

6. Karrisa
    November 19th, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

No, that is not what it should be like in a fast paced, big law firm! Glad it sounds like we’ll have plenty more hilarious posts to read, but feel terrible that you are not happy. Do their benefits include a Vodka allowance? :)

November 19th, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Ha! I wish!

8. Litigation Paralegal
    November 19th, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

It sounds a lot like a smaller firm I worked at. The atmosphere was very juvenile and the disorganization was maddening. I feel for you because I can’t stand spending my time at work searching for files and documents — it is a colossal waste of time and by the end of the day you feel as though you accomplished nothing. Since they put you in charge of the litigation department is there a possibility that you can suggest changes be made to streamline the process? Especially if you can point out how much time is wasted which translates into lost money for the firm? I wish you the best of luck in your new position.

November 19th, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

There is no way this place is open to any changes. It won’t happen.

10. Robert Thrumston
    November 19th, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

i have to agree in a way with Litigation, perhaps you were hired to whip them into shape? you are in charge of them right? Changes only happen when people step up and say something. it might be worth a try, but you are the one that works there not us, so you’d know better than anyone. Why not stir up some trouble?

November 20th, 2010 @ 12:05 am

Already tried. I was told no changes in policy or procedure period.
    Idiots.

November 19th, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

Wow, that’s just bad. Policies have their place, but it sounds like they have taken bureacracy to a whole new level.

November 19th, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

It it awful. I am miserable. Once again.
    Go me!

November 19th, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

Holy cow! That sounds awful to me and I work in Corporate America – the beacon of disorganization. What were to happen if you did correct that typo? Would the Processing Police appear out of nowhere (like the CIA) and take away your computer (that is assuming you have one by now)?

November 20th, 2010 @ 2:00 am

You just made me laugh!! I pictured me doing a revision and a SWAT team storming around me with guns drawn screaming at me to drop the file.

November 20th, 2010 @ 1:35 am

That sucks. :( At least it now sucks with benefits, eh?

November 20th, 2010 @ 1:58 am

Benefits does help, but of course they won’t kick in for another 30 days.

18. Linda
    November 20th, 2010 @ 4:12 am

Holy Hell. Is going back to the old place an option. If no, then vodka, wine, vodka, and maybe invest in boxing gloves and kickboxing class.

November 21st, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

God no. Miserable is miserable. I would be in hell back with old Boss. I am now in a fresh hell in my new position.

20. My Friday – Paralegal Hell | Fantastic Legal Information
    November 20th, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

[…] here: My Friday – Paralegal Hell Related Posts:Vacancies On The Bench – Paralegal Hell … to the courts (whether they know […]

21. you and the law » My Friday – Paralegal Hell
    November 20th, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

[…] here to read the rest: My Friday – Paralegal Hell Tagged with: [ because-the-file, file, files-and, for-missing, have-time, hounding-people, […]

22. My Friday – Paralegal Hell
    November 20th, 2010 @ 7:03 pm

[…] See more here: My Friday – Paralegal Hell […]

23. My Friday – Paralegal Hell | The law and You
    November 20th, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

[…] post: My Friday – Paralegal Hell Related Posts:Vacancies On The Bench – Paralegal HellParalegal Hell Stickers :10 Tips for […]

24. Purple Paralegal
    November 20th, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

I know exactly what you’re talking about. The last firm I worked for was very similar in policy and procedure. But not only did we have to deal with it internally, but also from our clients (which were insurance companies). Nothing could be done on a file with out their express approval and some times it took up to a week to 10 days before we would hear back from them.

I do hope it gets better, although from the sounds of it they are as reluctant to change as my last firm.

November 21st, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

I hope do too, but I don’t see it happening.
    I will continue to look while keeping my head down and trying to fly below the radar.