My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell

Posted on | September 30, 2010 | 43 Comments

I had an interview with a huge law firm downtown today.  I was excited because big law firms= health benefits.  Really, that is all I can ask for these days.  My pipe dreams of being happy are over.

Anyhoo, the interview had 10 attorneys.  7 were men, the rest female.  There was one female who HATED my guts the moment I sat down and introduced myself.

Before we get any further, let me just say that, no, I was not dressed like a slut.  There was no cleavage.  I was wearing my black Chanel power suit, a cute, but not revealing shell underneath, my black Prada bag and cute 3 inch black heels.  Not stripper heels. 3 inch heels.  Tasteful and classic.  Tim Gunn would have approved.

During the interview, she interupted several times to belittle me and try to pick my resume apart.  When I told them about my career change from education to legal, she actually said “Ha!  So all you have is a Bachelor’s Degree in Education?”  From that moment, it was on.  The bitch did not know who she was sparring with.  I answered that with “Ms. Troll, are you suggesting that because I do not have a J.D. behind my name, that your degree outweighs mine?”  The other attorneys snickered, but no, she was not stopping.

At another point during the interview, she interrupted her Boss and said, “Wait, I just have to know the answer to this question.  When you got your first job in Criminal Law after leaving teaching, how did you know what to do?  It would seem to me like you would perform very low.”  To which I answered, “Well, Ms. Troll.  May I ask what your first job was after law school?  She answered litigation, to which I replied “So, how did you know how to do your job?”  “I am positive that law school did not prepare you to go to trial your first day on the job.  I am assuming, like me, it was on the job training.”  She shut up and there were, once again, snickers around the room.

The weird thing is, I would have had no interaction with this attorney.  She is in a different department and am not sure what she was trying to prove, other than that she is a giant bitch.

As I got up to leave, I walked to the receptionist’s desk to give her the pen back when I heard the troll say “Oh, you just like her because she is easy on the eyes and has giant boobs.”  Oh yes- the bitch was going to pay for that.

I turned right back to the conference room where all the attorneys were gathering their stuff and asked the head attorney if I could see him for 5 seconds.  He came out, stood in front of the door, where I began to tell him that Ms. Troll’s behavior was demeaning and embarrassing.  I told him that I was going to walk out of here, never to look back again, but then I heard the boob comment, which was extremely out of line and would like an apology from the troll.  He was very understanding, told me he was very embarrassed by her behavior today and was going to call her in tomorrow to address it, but since I was here, that I was right, that she did owe me an apology.

He stuck his head in the door, called her out and told me to sit in the conference room with the other attorneys for a second.

Ms. Troll came back in the room with her hands on her hips and said “Some people think I was rude to you during this interview so I guess I have to apologize.”

Without missing a beat I told Ms. Troll that that had to be the most insincere apology I have ever heard, but since she had to do it in front of not only me, but her colleagues as well, the apology was accepted.  I then told the other attorneys that it was very nice to meet them and good luck with their search.  I turned to the head attorney and said “For future interviews, I hope Ms. Troll is not part of the hiring team, since all she brings to the table are insults and lacks any social grace or respect.”

When I left the office, I wish I had my own personal soundtrack because Eye of the Tiger should have been playing at that exact moment.

Paralegal

Comments

43 Responses to “My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell”

1. Obita_ovum
    September 30th, 2010 @ 1:44 am

Bravo!!! *claps loudly, stands up to clap*

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

Thanks sweetie!

3. Another ParaLegal
    September 30th, 2010 @ 2:01 am

Sweet ass post!!! Loved every minute of this read! JD does not mean Just be a Dickhead!

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

Ha! Most of the time it doesn’t, but she certainly fit the profile.

5. Another ParaLegal
    October 1st, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

I must say that I enjoy my daily … sometime more frequent depending on the day … dose of PH. I know you cannot be employed by the same sadistic creature as me since I am the only one in our office that has managed to stay with this man for more than two years. Your almost mirror image of my employment situation is frightening. Thank you for verbalizing what seems many of us experience at the hands of JDs…not all, but far too many than there should be.

October 1st, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

I am so sorry you are going through hell at work. It can make you so miserable- I know how you feel.
    Hang in there! This is always a great place to vent!
    Hell- that why I started Paralegal Hell. I knew I couldn’t be the only one who worked in misery.

7. Lilypad1213
    September 30th, 2010 @ 2:18 am

You were wearing a Chanel suit? I would have hired you on the spot.

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

But of course! I also have Dolche, Prada and Dior. Am I hired?

September 30th, 2010 @ 11:34 am

That is all kinds of awesome – good for you!

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

It made me feel better. I did not want another Paralegal walking in that door being treated the way I was by her. I am pretty sure it won’t happen again.

September 30th, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

If she’s that rude to people she doesn’t know, I can only assume it’s worse with her co-workers and staff. I’m sure all the other attorneys in the room were glad to see someone stand up to her, and word would get around to the staff very quickly. You’re probably something of a legend there by now.

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Oh- a legend! That makes me all kinds of happy!

13. Ronnie
    September 30th, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

Bravo! As a JD, I can attest that we don’t know what the hell we’re doing when we start! I couldn’t even schedule a trial without a clerk being nice even to loan me her cell phone to call my boss. I have no clue why some people feel the need to assert their alleged superiority in such a way as to diminish and demean others. Seriously, folks just need to learn how to act right.

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

Thank you! I don’t know why some attorneys forget that when they got out of law school, they had no idea how to do things and it was their paralegals that saved their asses.

September 30th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

You know all of the other attorneys got together immediately after this interview and demanded that you get hired on the spot! And to meet any of your demands! I swear if we had an office in your area I would hire you right now!! Throwing a fist bump your way (although my son assures me that is “lame”).

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Oh. I’ll fist bump ya girl :)

17. Twin1
    September 30th, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

From my experience, sounds like a pretty typical reaction from a female attorney. Women tend not to handle positions of authority over other women very well, particularly if they feel “threatened” in some respect. At least this coont got some measure of comeuppance.

18. Michelle
    September 30th, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

That was awesome!! High 5’s to you girl!!

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

Thank you. Y’all are being too sweet.
    Everyone would have done the same. Don’t give me too much credit :)

20. Nikki McKnight
    September 30th, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

You.Are.Awesome. I’m so happy you made your point in front of the rest of the hiring team. I’m willing to be she is, as my attorney friend Brian would say, a mental terrorist. Insecurity is symptom number 1 of mental terrorists, and she’s overflowing with it.

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

I love that line! Thanks Nikki!

22. CorpParalegalII
    September 30th, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

You handled yourself with grace and class. Bravo!

This sentence makes me sad though: “My pipe dreams of being happy are over.”

Life is too short to spend your days in a miserable job, working for miserable people. Do you think that working for another firm would be better? Or would you ever consider doing something else?

September 30th, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

Don’t be sad. That was just my sarcastic side.
    I know I’ll find something meant for me soon.

24. AJEsq.
    September 30th, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

From my experience, this seems to be a pretty typical attitude among female attorneys. For whatever reason (self-insecurity, general bitchiness), women do not handle being the boss of other women very well. I can’t tell you how many times the female paralegals at my firm have complained about the condescending attitudes they’ve been subjected to from (former) female associates here. At least this coont got some measure of comeuppance.

September 30th, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

Oh counselor. You really do love me :)

26. Tweets that mention My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | -- Topsy.com
    September 30th, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Angus T, Hacker News. Hacker News said: How to handle an aggressive interviewer: http://bit.ly/b1o99t Comments: http://bit.ly/cCSvLp […]

27. My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | | Legal and Law Info
    September 30th, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

[…] the original post: My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | other similar posts:Searches That Found Paralegal Hell | Can a Paralegal date a client? Well, I […]

28. My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | | The law and You
    September 30th, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

[…] rest is here: My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | Related Posts:Searches That Found Paralegal Hell |Interview with a Corporate Paralegal – […]

29. My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | « Law questions answered
    September 30th, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

[…] original post here: My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | You may like:Law Actually: A Law Actually Interview with… Paralegal Hell – The … I […]

30. My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell |
    September 30th, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

[…] here to read the rest: My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | Try these also:My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | Corporate Paralegal . You know […]

31. My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell |
    September 30th, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

[…] reading here: My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | Try these also:My Interview, or Sparring With A Bitch From Hell | Corporate Paralegal . You know […]

32. james pruett
    September 30th, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

I think she was instructed to F*** with you. You know that right?

September 30th, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

I have to disagree with you. I understand your point, but this was way more than “can this paralegal handle stress”. This was straight up bitchiness.
    I actually got a call from the head attorney to apologize once again for her rude behavior and was told she was on a 30 day probationary period. Obviously, she has other issues other than being a bitch.

34. AJEsq.
    September 30th, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

That is awesome to hear about the probationary period. Flat out awesome.

35. AJEsq.
    September 30th, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

No chance. Her last comment about Paralegal’s appearance makes it exceedingly apparent that this was not just some stress test. Even if you take that comment out of the equation, such belittling questioning is exceedingly unprofessional.

36. TxParalegal
    September 30th, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

Oh.No.You.Diiiiinn’t! I’ve said it before, I’ve never met a timid paralegal but Lady, you’re something else!! I hate to agree about the bitchy-woman-attorney generalization, but from my experience it is fairly accurate. I’m guessing too many years of putting up with male-dominated BigLaw bullshit. I’ve been clipping along have an ass-kickin’ day and I just had it crapped on my someone who wants to feel bigger by making me feel smaller. I was too pissed to work, so I hopped on down to PH for a break. I’m thinking I should have told him to suck it. I’m going to print your post up and smack in on my corkboard as motivation. My HERO!

September 30th, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

I love you:). That made my day :)

September 30th, 2010 @ 10:15 pm

And if that person ever tries to make you feel small again, send them my way.
    Nobody treats my readers like that. I will bitch slap them. Hard.

39. AW
    October 1st, 2010 @ 12:05 am

GO YOU! Loved this post… so glad you managed to bring her back down to Earth!

40. Android
    October 2nd, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

PWND! Go you!!

I love this blog :)

41. ChicagoParalegal
    October 3rd, 2010 @ 11:32 pm

Love it! I think that is fantastic. Good for you, girly.
    I am also lovin’ the Chanel suit, lol. Obviously you are a classy woman, a lot classier than this biatch.
    Much loooove to you!!

October 3rd, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

Thank you sweetie!

43. Two Week Notice :
    October 20th, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

[…] think this little tidbit is funny.  This is the same law firm that I interviewed with and had the bitch lawyer in the same room who was made to apologize to me in front of her colleagues.  The lead attorney […]