Team Building Exercises

Posted on | July 29, 2010 | 10 Comments

Oh yes, it is the time of year when my former colleagues have to go back to their schools and during “staff development” they have the obligatory team building exercises.  I have received several texts from my former teacher friends asking me to please come to their campuses to shoot them to put them out of their misery.

I totally understand and there isn’t enough vodka to make me want to do those stupid exercises every again.  All of them sucked, but the worst was the following…

The  Exercise theme was “celebrate your inner child”.  Ok- right there I should have pretended my appendix exploded and got the hell out of dodge, but no, I stayed anyway.

We were taken to a local ice cream store and over a lunch of cold french fries and hamburgers, we built gingerbread houses with our grade levels and played a terrible 45-minute version of school-related MadLibs.  Why?  To build our staff stronger, damnit!

The worst part was that they blew up baby pictures of the  idiots who actually provided them ( I ignored that memo) and made them wear them around their necks all afternoon- the baby pictures were on 11 x 14 foam-board, so they were big, awkward and heavy.  I almost felt sorry for them, but then I remembered they were stupid enough to provide the pictures, so that was their Albatross for the day.  Sucked to be them.

So, Dear Readers, can anyone top that awesome team building adventure?

Paralegal

Comments

10 Responses to “Team Building Exercises”

1. law school ninja
    July 30th, 2010 @ 12:23 am

Lemme get this straight. You guys had hamburgers, french fries, and ice cream, and you played Mad Libs and built gingerbread houses?? Sounds like an ideal day to me! Sign me up! :)

July 30th, 2010 @ 1:24 am

I know it sound like all kinds of awesome, but trust me, unless you had a flask full of vodka, it really sucked.
    The hamburgers and french fries were cold, we didn’t get ice cream, just went to the ice cream store and the “gingerbread houses” were made from stale graham crackers.

3. law school ninja
    July 30th, 2010 @ 12:23 am

July 30th, 2010 @ 1:24 am

5. GrumpyHumbug
    July 30th, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

Usually manage to avoid those things, but we once got surprised in a staff meeting with the "share your deepest fears" exercise. Lies abounded. I suddenly developed an irrational fear of sharing.

6. GrumpyHumbug
    July 30th, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

7. Tim Brown
    August 1st, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

HA HA HA!!!! My family owns a western theme team building company in Arizona. We try not to embarrass people. This was a great post.

8. Tim Brown
    August 1st, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

August 1st, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

Oh TIm! I wish I could say that I loved Team Building exercises and it was just that one day that sucked, but I really hated all of them.
    Of course, I never went to your parent's company, so I will not hold it against you :)

10. ParalegalHell